Unit HomeAbout the RegimentFAQs
Wounded Warrior Regiment


Wounded Warrior Regiment


Still in the Fight

Wounded Warrior Regiment (WWR)

What is the WWR?
The Wounded Warrior Regiment is the official command charged by the Commandant of the Marine Corps to provide leadership and facilitate the integration of non-medical and medical care to combat and non-combat wounded, ill, and injured (WII) Marines, sailors attached to Marine units, and their family members in order to maximize their recovery as they return to duty or transition to civilian life. 

The Wounded Warrior Regiment is not affiliated with any non-profit/charitable organizations.  However, we do work with many charitable organizations through our wounded warrior call center and charitable giving program.  To learn more, visit the Charitable Giving section of our website.

View the About the Regiment section for more information.

How do I refer a Marine to the Wounded Warrior Regiment?
If a Marine cannot remain with their parent unit, a request for assignment to a Wounded Warrior Regiment element can be initiated by the parent command, medical officer, Wounded Warrior Regiment detachment Officer-in-Charge, or the Wounded Warrior Regiment operations section.  For guidance on when and how to refer a Marine to the WWR, please review Wounded Warrior Regiment Order 6300.1 - Administrative Procedures for Acceptance of Wounded, Ill, Injured or Hospitalized Personnel to the Wounded Warrior Regiment.  For more information, please visit our page on Referring a Marine.


Are the members of the Medical Section licensed?
Yes, the WWR benefits from having a wide range of licensed professionals (Active Duty, GS Civilian and Contractor), including Medical Doctor (MD), Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Licensed Clinic Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), and Registered Nurse (RN). 

Does the WWR Medical Section treat patients?
No, the Medical Section does not provide clinical treatment. The staff utilizes their expertise in military related health issues to educate Marines and family members and to collaborate with care providers for optimal medical and psychological treatments available to all Marines.

Why does the Medical Section have access to medical records (AHLTA)?
To better educate and advocate for Marines' medical and psychological needs, the Medical Staff may review AHLTA and VA medical records. All staff are trained in Privacy Act and HIPAA safeguards and obtain consent before reviewing medical records.

For more information, view the Medical Section fact sheet.

Recovery Care Coordinator

What is a Recovery Care Coordinator (RCC)?
RCCs meet with the recovering Marine and family to conduct a comprehensive needs assessment. RCCs then coordinate the support network that ensures those needs are addressed in support of a successful return to full duty or transition to the civilian community.  For more information, view the RCC fact sheet.

How do I request a Recovery Care Coordinator?
The RCC program accepts Marines whether they are joined to the Wounded Warrior Regiment, located with their parent unit, resident in a military or civilian hospital, or joined to an I&I.  To request a RCC, visit the bottom section of the referral page for further instructions.

Warrior Athlete Reconditioning Program (WAR-P)

How can I participate in WAR-P events such as the Marine Corps Trials and Warrior Games?
Participation in WAR-P events is open to active duty, reserve, and veteran wounded, ill, and injured Marines as a part of their recovery.  Participation can be achieved through physician/medical provider referral, command referral, or Marine self-referral.  For more information, view the WAR-P fact sheet.

How do I find out about future events?
Upcoming events are posted on our website and on the WWR Facebook page.  You may also request to be added to the WAR-P distribution list by email at wwsports@usmc.mil.

Benefits and Compensation


Who do I call for Tricare related issues? 
For Tricare related issues, please contact 1-877-874-2273 or visit http://www.tricare.mil/.

What is Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and how do I apply?
Department of Defense (DoD) retirees who receive Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability payments have their retired pay “offset” (reduced) by the amount of VA disability pay. Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a monthly compensation that replaces a portion of the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) disability offset for those retirees with a combat-related disability.

To apply for CRSC, please visit http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/applyforcrsc.html.

How do I cancel the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)?
You are free to cancel or terminate your SBP election from the 25th month through the 36th month - or the third year - of your retirement. Please note that this window is an exit only, not an entrance, meaning that it applies only to withdrawing from an unwanted election and does not allow retirees to begin an election that they had earlier declined.  As with declining at retirement, spousal concurrence is required.

If you believe you are eligible, please complete a Survivor Benefit Plan Termination Request (DD 2656-2) and mail or fax it to DFAS Retired and Annuitant Pay.

How do I submit a request for reconsideration of the Purple Heart Award?
There are two instances when a Marine may request reconsideration for the Purple Heart Award:

  1. New and relevant information is available that was not originally considered, or
  2. Documentation that the Marine met the revised Purple Heart criteria for MTBI/Concussion for concussive events occurring on or after the start of the Global War on Terrorism.  

For help gathering the appropriate documentation and submitting a reconsideration request, contact your Recovery Care Coordinator, Section Leader, or the Sergeant Merlin German Wounded Warrior Call Center.

For detailed information, please review the Purple Heart fact sheet.


What is TSGLI and where can I find more information?
Traumatic Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (TSGLI) is an addition to the Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) program that provides traumatically injured service members funds to meet immediate, post-injury financial needs. TSGLI provides a tax-free lump-sum payment as low as $25,000 - up to a maximum of $100,000.  For more information, please view the TSGLI fact sheet

View the TSGLI procedures guide and application form at http://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/tsgli.asp.



Temporary Disability Retirement List (TDRL)

TDRL can be a confusing process: How do I receive my benefits and what are the requirements associated with that process?
For more information, check out the TDRL fact sheet.

How do I schedule my Periodic Physical Exam (PPE)?
You should contact your TDRL Coordinator who will assist you in scheduling your appointments and provide your orders to report to an MTF.  If you need further help, please contact the Sergeant Merlin German Wounded Warrior Call Center at 1-877-487-6299. 

Employment and Education

How do I transfer my GI Bill benefits to my wife or children?
For information on transferring your GI Bill benefits, please visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp.

For instructions on how to transfer your benefits, please visit https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/public/faq/Education_Benefits-How_to_Transfer_Benefits.

If you are ready to transfer, you can submit your request via MilConnect at http://milconnect.dmdc.mil.  Note:  You must use your Common Access Card (CAC), DoD Self-Service Logon (DS Logon), or DFAS Account (myPay) to sign in to MilConnect.

If you have any issues or need further assistance, please contact the Wounded Warrior Call Center at 1-877-487-6299.

Who can assist with employment related needs?
The WWR Transition Support Cell assists WII Marines and their families in finding employment after they leave the military. We can help you complete both civilian and federal resumes, identify networking opportunities, and fill out the necessary applications and security clearance paperwork.  For more information view the Transition fact sheet or contact the Wounded Warrior Call Center at 1-877-487-6299.

Wounded Warrior Call Center



What type of assistance does the Wounded Warrior Call Center (WWCC) provide? The WWCC offers assistance on a wide variety of issues, such as service disability ratings, medical care, Veterans Affairs (VA), employment, education, benefits and entitlements, awards (Purple Hearts), counseling, and benevolent organizations.  If you require any assistance, please contact us at 1-877-487-6299.  We are available 24/7 to assist you.


Reserve Support

Reserve Medical Entitlements Determination (RMED)

How do I get reimbursed for pre-paid out of pocket medical bills?
With assistance from the Unit Medical Department Representative (MDR), the member completes and signs a CHAMPUS Claim - Patient’s Request for Medical Payment, DD Form 2642. Forward the DD Form 2642, bill, and proof of payment (i.e. copy of paid receipt, cancelled check, credit card statement, etc.) to the appropriate Tricare Managed Care Contractor (addresses can be found on page 14 of DHA process guide).  

Once I am approved for Line of Duty (LOD) benefits can I make an appointment to be seen by a doctor?
No, a pre-authorization request must first be sent to DHA by the Unit Medical Department Representative (MDR). The forms are available in the MCMEDS forms tab. DHA worksheet 1 and DHA worksheet 2 need to be faxed to DHA at 847-688-6460/7394. DHA will then send required pre-authorization to Tricare who then will mail a Tricare authorization letter to the member’s last known address in DEERS and the provider to be seen.

Can a member transfer to the IRR while on LOD?
Yes, a member can transfer to the IRR. One of two options can be done; the unit would communicate with MCIRSA at MFR and do a warm hand off so member can continue LOD in the IRR.  Option two, the member would sign a page 11 waiving LOD benefits. 

Can a member on MEDHOLD still go thru the Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) process if he/she chooses to waive MEDHOLD?
Yes, if the member chooses to waive MEDHOLD and is going thru the PEB, a LOD benefits request needs to be requested and approved in order to continue the PEB process.

While on MEDHOLD/LOD can a member accept orders?
A member who is injured is not authorized to accept orders without prior approval from the Reserve Medical Entitlements Division (RMED).  

How do I get permissions within MCMEDS? 
A1. SMCR Unit - First complete DD form 577 and provide completed HIPAA training certificate (information for both can be found in the forms tab in MCMEDS) then attach them to the permissions request through the Drill Manager Module and the Unit Drill Manager can grant permissions.

A2.     OSO office / Active Duty- First complete DD form 577 and provide completed HIPAA training Certificate. Provide both documents to RMED in order to have permissions granted.

What information must be provided in the employer letter when a member is requesting 204(h) INCAP pay? 
The following items must be addressed in the employer’s letter: 

(a) Member’s civilian employment work responsibilities 

(b) Availability of employment in a limited capacity

(c) Gross hourly wages

(d) Average hours worked per week

(e) Average work days per week

(f) Specific days of the week worked (Mon-Fri, Tues-Thurs, Weds-Sat, etc.) 

(g) Number of work days missed 

(h) Computation for lost gross wages that the member is claiming for the period. This must coincide with the Commanding Officer’s Certification form completed by the unit. 

(i) This letter must indicate that the member did not receive any type of compensation for the pay period requested. This includes vacation, sick or leave pay. Some employers require that these periods are taken and must be disclosed to the disburser prior to any payment. If any compensation pay has been issued from the employer, it will be annotated in Compensation Received portion of the Commanding Officer’s Certification Form.

What if I am full duty but I still have an outstanding INCAP pay request to submit? 
The final INCAP pay must be paid out then a Return to Full Duty request can be submitted. 

If the member is being administratively separated from the Marine Corps, what is the proper approach?The member rates LOD/Medical Hold benefits up until the date the member is officially separated from the Marine Corps. Then a Status Change Inactive must be submitted thru MCMEDS with the approved separation authority paperwork. 

What is the proper documentation that must be submitted to return a member to full duty?
If the member is in receipt of LOD benefits; proper medical documentation stating the member is return to full duty without limitations from the member’s Primary Care Manager (PCM) must be submitted.  If the member is on medical hold, a NAVMED 6100/6 is the ONLY medical document that may return the member to full duty. 

When is a Discharge request submitted?
After the adjudication of the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) process, when PRR date has been established and no earlier than 5 days prior to the PRR date. The unit must submit a screenshot of the MCTFS RT03 screen and also include the member’s signed acceptance letter from the PEB.

Can I get reimbursed for travel mileage when attending medical appointments for LOD related injuries?
Yes, the member needs to notify the Unit S-1 in advance of all medical appointments in order for LOD travel orders to be completed via MROWS.  Upon completion of LOD travel, a travel claim must be submitted to the finance office.  

If I create a MEDHOLD or LOD case in MCMEDS and then determine the request is no longer warranted, how do I delete the draft request?  
You select the cancel button in MCMEDS to remove the request.      

Where can I find a blank Reserve Marine Support Questionnaire (RMSQ)?
Forms tab in MCMEDS 

Why am I not able to attach a document?
Once a case is reviewed by the unit and submitted to RMED, the unit may no longer attach documents until the case has been approved, returned for edits, or routing has been canceled.

Can I submit a MEDHOLD benefits initial request without a NAVMED 6100/5?
Yes, NAVMED 6100/5 needs to be submitted within 90 days of MedHold benefits approval.

What documentation is needed to submit an initial LOD benefits request?
Refer to the MCMEDS user manual for specific requirements. 

Can a member received INCAP pay if they own their business?
Yes, provided that proof of lost wages is submitted with the request. An example of source documents is previous three years of tax returns.

Who do I submit a Medical Retention Review (MRR) package to?

Health Services Support (HSS)
Marine Forces Reserve
2000 Opelousas Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70114  

Comm. (504) 697-8050

What is considered the initial post-operative medical documentation for 204(g) INCAP pay?
Medical documentation that clearly states post-operative visit, or the first medical appointment in which the member is being evaluated following the surgery date. This does not include wound/dressing checks. This visit is usually very specific and provides progress of recovery/post-operative limitations.

Featured Resources


Important Helplines

Sergeant Merlin German Wounded Warrior Call Center
The Sergeant Merlin German Wounded Warrior Call Center (WWCC) is available 24/7 to make and receive calls and render assistance to recovering service members, Marine veterans, and their families.

Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.

Military One Source
Military OneSource — Your 24/7 connection to information, answers and support. Your one source for your best mil-life.

DoD Sexual Assault Hotline
Sexual Assault Support for the Department of Defense Community

Veteran Crisis Line
The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text.
1-800-273-8255 Press 1

VA Caregiver Support Line
Assistance is just a quick phone call away – while you're supporting a Veteran, we're here to support you.