Unit HomePress RoomNewsNews Article Display
Wounded Warrior Regiment


Wounded Warrior Regiment


Still in the Fight
Get to know the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program

By Brandi Harrigan | Wounded Warrior Regiment | July 24, 2018


Did you know that if you are participating in the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) or are certified by the military as having a severe injury or illness that may prevent you from performing your military duties that you are eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services?

What Is Vocational Rehabilitation?

Vocational Rehabilitation is a Veterans Affairs' (VA) program designed to assist veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. The program offers a number of services, including: vocational and personal counseling, education and training, financial aid, job assistance, and, if needed, medical and dental treatment. Services generally last up to 48 months, but they can be extended in certain instances.


Who Is Eligible?

Generally, service members with a monthly VA disability compensation payment are eligible; however, those awaiting discharge because of a disability you may also be eligible for vocational rehabilitation. Eligible service members also:

  •   served on or after September 16, 1940   AND

  •   have a service-connected disability (SCD) rating of at least 20% by VA  AND

  •   need Vocational Rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap  AND

  •   have been notified of qualifying SCD in the last 12 years. 

How Much Does VA Pay?

If you need training, VA will pay your training costs, such as tuition and fees, books, supplies, equipment, and, if needed, special services.  While you are in training, VA will also pay you a monthly benefit called subsistence allowance, to help offset the cost of training expenses. 


How Can You Apply?

You can apply by filling out VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, and mail it to the VA regional office that serves your area. For more information about how to apply, visit: https://www.benefits.va.gov/VOCREHAB/edu_voc_counseling.asp


Find out how to access VR&E services through IDES. Visit: https://www.vets.gov/employment/vocational-rehab-and-employment/ides/.

Visit the WWR IDES Toolkit to access more information about  VR&E and what is available to recovering service members going through IDES at: https://www.woundedwarrior.marines.mil/IDESToolkit/

Contact your local VR&E Coordinator:                                                                      

Quentin W. Merrill

Marine Corps Base Quantico - Vocational Rehabilitation/IDES Coordinator

703-432-1814 (W)






Unit News