An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Refer a Marine
Need to refer a Marine to the Wounded Warrior Regiment, refer from CAPSTONE, or refer to a recovery care coordinator? Learn more about the assignment process to the regiment and the specific steps to start the referral process or get help on specific questions about assignment to the regiment and resources available to recovering Marines and their families.


Referral to Wounded Warrior Regiment

If a Marine cannot remain with their parent unit, a request for assignment to a Wounded Warrior Regiment element can be initiated by the parent command, medical officer, Wounded Warrior Regiment detachment Officer-in-Charge, or the Wounded Warrior Regiment operations section (contact To review WWR assignment criteria, please visit our leaders and staff page


Instructions to Referral Authorities

There are three steps to complete to assist wounded, ill, and injured personnel for referral in transitioning to the Wounded Warrior Regiment.

Step One - Referral Package

To complete the referral information, please complete the Unit Command Endorsement and the WWR Referral Package. 



Step Two - Medical Information

To complete the medical information portion of the referral package, please complete the Medical Questionnaire and the Authorization for Disclosure of Medical and Dental Information (DDF2870).

Remember, when including PII or medical information ensure encryption of email to safeguard of privacy act and HIPAA. Also, be sure to include the Authorization for Disclosure of Medical and Dental Information in your referral package.


Step Three - Submission

Once Step One and Two are complete, please e-mail your completed package to your respective area of responsibility - Wounded Warrior Battalion-West (WWBNW_REFERRALS@USMC.MIL) or Wounded Warrior Battalion-East (WWBN_EAST_S3@USMC.MIL)

The Warrior Battalion West (WWBn-W) area of responsibility is generally west of the Mississippi River to Okinawa, Japan, Guam, and Hawaii. The Wounded Warrior Battalion West (WWBn-E) area of responsibility is generally all areas east of the Mississippi River as well as detachments at San Antonio Military Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas and Landstuhl, Germany.




Step Four (If applicable) - Reconsideration

Appeals to a disapproved Wounded Warrior Battalion-East/West Referral request can be submitted to the Commanding Officer, Wounded Warrior Regiment for reconsideration.  To start the process, please download the template and send all reconsideration packages to our SMB WWR Ops Center (

Appeals must be received within 45 days of a disapproval notification letter from Wounded Warrior Battalion-East/West and signed by the Battalion/Squadron level commander.


Refer From Captstone

Transitioning Marines Identified at CAPSTONE by their CO or at Force Preservation Councils and assessed to be high risk due to a wound, illness, or injury should be referred to the Wounded Warrior Regiment for assessment of needs. To refer a Marine, please download the referral form here and email to

For more information, please review MARADMIN 503/16 at

Capstone is a two-stage process

Stage One - Capstone Review is an in- depth review of the Marine’s Individual Transition Plan (ITP) and Career Readiness Standards (CRS), conducted by the transition staff using DD Form 2958, ITP Checklist.  

Stage Two - Capstone Verification (also known as Commander’s Verification), is the culminating activity in the transition process where a Commanding Officer (CO) or designee verifies that the Marine has met CRS, has a viable ITP from military to civilian life, and whether a “warm handover” to a partner agency for additional assistance is necessary due to lack of post-military housing plans, inability to meet necessary CRS, and/or for those with any characterization of service less than honorable.  A “warm handover” is positive contact between the subject matter Marine and a relevant partner agency.  Transitioning Marines identified by their CO during Capstone or at Force Preservation Councils and assessed to be high risk due to a wound, illness, or injury should be referred to the Wounded Warrior Regiment for assessment of needs.

Refer to a Recovery Care Coordinator

In the aftermath of a wound, illness, or injury, a Marine may require assistance with identifying resources available to support them through their recovery. The Recovery Care Coordinator (RCC) is one of the first non-medical points of contact for wounded, ill or injured (WII) Marines and their family, They help provide a support network to ensure a smooth transition either back to full duty, or to the civilian community. Designated RCCs are available to WII Marines and their families--whether they are assigned to the Wounded Warrior Regiment or remain with their operational units.

When Should I Consider Referring to a Recovery Care Coordinator?
The RCC program accepts Marines whether they are joined to the Wounded Warrior Regiment, located with their parent unit, resident in a military or civilian hospital, or joined to an I&I. The following may be considerations when referring for RCC support in addition to wounds, illnesses, and injuries:

  • Is not expected to return to duty within 180 days

  • Has multiple and/or complex medical needs (i.e. TBI or severe PTSD)

  • Lacks a stable family environment or has complex family needs (i.e. EFMP)

  • Is financially strained

  • Has been referred to the Integrated Disability Evaluation System and requires support through the process but is not at the PEB stage

  • Is nearing end of active service and has no transition plan (i.e. employment, housing, etc.)

How Do I Complete a Referral for Recovery Care Coordinator Support?

DoD Personnel with Common Access Card (CAC)    
here to follow the step-by-step instructions required to access the WWR Assignment and Transfer Form.

Non-DoD Personnel (No-CAC)   

  • Contact the WWR Call Center at 1-877-487-6299 to request a RCC

  • WWR staff will assist you with the referral process

  • Be prepared to present all known medical conditions, non-medical needs, and justification for the referral  


Once a Marine is assigned, a RCC will contact the parent command to discuss the Marine's needs and support being offered. A RCC will continue to work with the command throughout the Marine's care.

WWR Resource Guide
Volume One | For Leaders


Points of Contact

WWR Operation & Medical Sections

WWR Recovery Care Coordinators


2018 PEBLO Point of Contacts

Navy and Marine Corps Disability Attorney Roster


If you have additional questions about
the referral processes please contact
the Sergeant Merlin German Wounded
Warrior Call Center at 1-877.487.6299.